Saturday, June 27, 2009

Noam's Paddling Expedition Part 3

The second to last day of our trip had us stopping at a park I knew well for lunch. Before we ate, we toured the rural life museum, which was a collection of buildings from the just post-Civil War era and many objects that one might find in an old, off the beaten path, kind of town like those in Southern Prince George's County at the time.

The first building was a chestnut log cabin built buy a former slave, Charles Duckett. Many of the beams were the original chestnut that Duckett hewed himself.

Stew is ready!

Just outside the Duckett Cabin was a quaint little garden. A lovely museum actor told us a lot about what it must have been like to live in such a cabin, sustained by such a garden.

The potatoes look good.

One of the highlights of this town-like museum is the Sears Modern Home, a home-building kit sold in the catalog of Sears Roebuck and Company in the early 1900's. It seems I was quite lax in getting pictures of the outside of this house, but Noam had some fun inside.

The bed is soft.

Re-cord. Neat!

The Duvall Tool Museum was really neat too. It had many items in common use in the early 1900's. There was a dentist's chair, an apple cider machine, and even an old cash register. Noam was very interested in the cobbler's and cordwainer's tools.

If it's not mushrooms, it's shoes!

There was also a child's school desk and related items.

And musty old books!

An area was set aside to look like a general store. I liked the old cash register. Noam stopped to have a chat with an old rag doll.

You would not believe the stories she had to tell.

After this stop, we camped along my favorite creek. I paddle ths creek often, and even had the chance to go at night. The night paddle along my favorite part of this river was beyond amazing. The look of things usually familiar in the starlight, the sound of night creatures in the wetlands. And we even encountered a family of six Barred Owls. Just unbelievably beautiful.

The next and final day of our paddle had another mishap. We managed to miss the creek where we were supposed to land and have lunch. We realized where it was later: at a part of the river where the water was very shallow and there were ten or more Great Blue Herons wading in it. We paddled silently by them. By the time we realized we had gone up the wrong creek, it was closer to just keep going to the end than it was to go back up the river to the planned stop.

It's hot out here and I want lunch!

We finally made it to the final landing, and so did lunch. So, all's well that ends well! We have one more adventure planned for the end of my two week long vacation: a quick weekend visit more than two hundred miles away from this river to see my brother. More to come, stay tuned!

Note: Garden Gnomes are not waterproof and should be protected from excess moisture. This Gnome is being carefully guarded by a trained Gnome-handler and experienced kayaker. Please be sure you and your Gnomes know the risk before attempting this or any stunt. Gnome doctors may not be able to save your Gnomes in the event of a mishap. No Gnomes were harmed in the photographing of this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment