Monday, July 13, 2009

The Dreamer FanArtPolooza 2009

I'm not usually one for entering contests. I often feel that my effort goes unappreciated, and I often put forth a ton of effort. Costume contests are my biggest example of this. For example, I once spent 19 hours gluing sequins to a pair of shoes because I wanted Ruby Slippers. Every time I've entered something with those shoes (sometimes Dorothy, sometimes the Wicked Witch of the East) I did not win to someone who bought a costume and put little or no thought into it. One time, I painted my skin blue and my hair white to be a Dark Elf from EverQuest. I lost in the scariest category to a man who bought a nun get-up. Once, I even painted a friend up to look like Darth Maul (and she looked good, if I do say so myself) but she didn't win to some guy who bought an Obi-Wan costume. I could go on, but the point is I'm very picky about putting my art out there to be judged. It hurts to feel effort go unnoticed, especially when next to no effort at all.

I read webcomics. There are several in my list of things I hit every few days. One of them is called The Dreamer, and if you like historical fiction and the American Revolution, you need to be reading this comic.

Last year, she had a fan art contest. I submitted a Barbie Doll done up like her main character. It was great fun, I had never worked so long on a doll before. I didn't win the contest, but I didn't feel that my effort went unappreciated either. See, there is no bitterness if something is deservingly better (it's a shame the cake was not eligible to win. That would have been more of a worthy defeat than the entries that did win, but I digress).

The artist is nearing the end of another fan art contest, in celebration of the release of the graphic novel (my friend who manages a Borders says it won't be available for order until the 29th. You should get one!). In honor of my amigurumi doll making passion, I made a couple for this time around and recreated one of my favorite scenes from her comic. As far as effort, if anyone wants to know, you're looking at about 15 hours of work, to include the making of the dolls and accessories, and the photo shoot and editing. Can you find the page?



This is the second time I've put my art under this kind of scrutiny. But, this is the kind of contest that I love. It's the kind that encourages; actually, demands, effort and time, thought, and talent shine through in every entry. That's what I like. I don't feel like I'm the only one trying and I'm happy to be among so many creative people who put their passion for this story into their art so beautifully. This kind of contest isn't about winning, it's about creating. That's the best kind, I think. Check out all the other awesome entries when you're done checking out the comic (I say read first, so you know what people are talking about!).

By the way, for those of you who want to know, Noam still has some pictures from the end of my vacation and another kayaking trip that he wants me to put up. I just haven't yet had the time! I'll try to get them up for him before the week is out!

1 comment:

  1. That is great that you are going for it!! Gets the creative juices flowing! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete