Saturday, January 10, 2009

Spirit Dolls

My spirituality is a large part of my life. As such, I enjoy making things with spiritual significance. That is one of the reasons why I enjoy making malas so much.

It was about a year ago when I had the idea to make Spirit Dolls. The first pair were gifts for friends, but I enjoyed creating them so much that I had to continue.

I have not been able to pinpoint an origin of this tradition, though some of it is in Native American practice and Voodoo. My Spirit Dolls represent a quality, ability, or influence that you wish to draw to you and manifest in your life. This form of doll making is completely freestyle, allowing any and all materials from synthetic fabric to natural wood parts. They are often decorated or stuffed with things that aid whatever quality or ability they represent. The dolls, which can take any form, embody that quality or ability, so you can use it within your own life. To use a Spirit Doll, reflect and meditate upon its qualities, keep it by your bed, or spend time holding it each day.

A few pictures of previous dolls are below. Currently, the shop will open with the bottom two available.


The wing of the Phoenix, a gift for my roommate.


This doll was fashioned to represent resilience. It takes the shape of a volcano, and embodies the ability to recover in the face of great destruction or hardship.


This doll is a symbol of protection, as a mighty tree stands guard in a forest.


Because of the nature of spirit dolls, I cannot really plan to make one. Much thought and energy go into their creation, and I have found that I can only make them when the mood strikes me. My Spirit Dolls are made in a sacred space, and sometimes as part of a larger ritual. All are cleansed and charged with Reiki during and after construction. Each doll is completely made by hand and is one of a kind. While I can make multiple dolls with similar properties, no two will ever be the same. These are sacred, spiritual objects and not intended or suitable to be toys for children.

No comments:

Post a Comment